Re: OPW candidate

On Sun, 2014-09-21 at 18:12 +0530, Shipra Banga wrote:
Hello,

This is Shipra Banga, a software developer and enthusiast. I want to
apply for this year's OPW and want to contribute in this project.

Any idea with where should I start? What are the project ideas for
Cheese for this upcoming OPW round?

Regards
Shipra Banga

Hi Shipra,

I wish you well in your work.  Cheese is great and I am grateful for all
of the hard work that has been put in so far.

My personal wish is for Cheese to be able to print the shots in the same
way as a photobooth would, and also to accept live use of a DSLR.

When we had a major celebration in the family, I set my notebook up with
a better webcam than the notebook used, but I had no way to print the
output, so I presented my problem to "Linux Questions" and within 20
minutes I was given a script to do the job (see below).  The night was a
huge success, the guests were able to take a memento home, and the
images, after printing were moved to a "Printed" folder.

It may be, that being able to use Cheese as an "Out of the Box"
photobooth, that some commercial pricing could be used to help fund the
development.

Here is the print script:

inotifywait -m -e close_write ~/Pictures/Webcam --format "%w%f" | \
while read filename; do lpr -P Photosmart-C5200-Series "$filename"; mv
"$filename" ~/Pictures/Webcam/printed; done

This was for my HP printer.

I am not a developer, so have no recommendations for what is needed to
detect a supported DSLR or even to create an input form for the Camera
and printer.  Output paper formats could become interesting as well, how
to print a strip of three or four passport size photos.

Would love to see this happen.

Cheers

Andrew Greig

Melbourne, Australia.