RE: cheese-3.10.2 does not detect webcam but guvcview does

-----Original Message-----
From: Bastien Nocera [mailto:hadess hadess net]
Sent: Monday, 26 May, 2014 14:15
To: John Frankish
Cc: cheese-list gnome org
Subject: Re: cheese-3.10.2 does not detect webcam but guvcview
does

#6  0x000000000040f0d3 in cheese_effects_manager_add_effect
(effect=<optimized out>, name=<optimized out>, self=0x1ed5610)
    at src/cheese-effects-manager.c:222

Still missing important debug information I'm afraid.

'seems the trick is to compile with "-ggdb"

It's trying to build the Time delay effect which needs the
"frei0r-filter- delay0r" plugin (which lives in the gst-plugins-bad
package). Cheese should probably do better at avoiding crashing when an effect isn't available.

Could you please re-test with cheese 3.12.x, and file a bug if the
problem persists?

Thanks

Hmm - assuming we're referring to /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-
1.0/libgstfrei0r.so, it is present and correct...

Are you sure that your GStreamer installation knows to go get the plugin
there?

Try running:
gst-inspect-1.0 frei0r-filter-delay0r

$ gst-inspect-1.0 frei0r

Plugin Details:
  Name                     frei0r
  Description              frei0r plugin library
  Filename                 /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstfrei0r.so
  Version                  1.2.4
  License                  LGPL
  Source module            gst-plugins-bad
  Source release date      2014-04-18
  Binary package           GStreamer Bad Plug-ins source release
  Origin URL               Unknown package origin

  0 features:

$ gst-inspect-1.0 frei0r-filter-delay0r

No such element or plugin 'frei0r-filter-delay0r'

I recompiled gst-plugins-bad-1.2.4 - there are no configure or make errors for frei0r and it is a plugin
without deps.

Cheese-3.12.2 has the same problem :(