have a 'cheese'-package available some time in the future, but I'm happy
with the vapi-file.

Thanks, Moritz

Am Donnerstag, den 16.01.2014, 23:04 +0000 schrieb David King:
Hi

On 2013-12-30 15:23, Moritz Renftle <clutter renftles de> wrote:
since a month or two I'm working on a small application which needs
Webcam-support. Initially, it was implemented in python using libcheese
from the gir-bindings ('gir1.2-cheese-3.x' on ubuntu), but I'd like to
port it to Vala for performance reasons.

My question is: What do I have to do to use libcheese from Vala?

There is a VAPI file in the Cheese tarball or git repository, which
should work:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/cheese/tree/src/vapi/cheese-common.vapi

You could also try generating the VAPI file from the GObject
Introspection data using vapigen.

To use my app with the python-bindings, the newest version of Ubuntu was
needed (Cheese >= 3.6). Does the same apply for Vala? I know Cheese is
built with Vala itself for some time, so I'd expect Vala-support for
libcheese to be older too?
At the moment I'm not even sure which package must be included in the
Makefile ('cheese-common' or 'cheese' or 'cheese-3.0' .. ?) for valac to
compile my application. I could only find information concerning
libcheese and python.

The Cheese VAPI file is not installed, so I suggest that you either copy
it into your project or generate it from the GIR metadata.

You should be able to figure out the necessary arguments to pass to
valac in the Vala bindings documentation:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vala/Bindings