slow FPS caused by auto exposure?

Greetings and salutations;

I've been banging my head off Cheese trying to figure out why I was getting slow FPS rates across the board.

On a whim, I installed guvcview and tried to fiddle around with some of the settings and stumbled on a fix for a problem that's been plaguing Cheese for way too long;

Under Windows 7 I noticed the auto-exposure setting for my camera was causing performance issues, so I decided to fiddle with them in guvcview.

While in guvcview, I selected "Manual Mode" from the drop-down in the "Exposure, Auto" setting then "TAB" selected the next option from "Exposure Absolute".

The "Exposure Absolute" was set to "156". I used my right arrow key to bump it up to "157" then back down to "156" and presto! my frame rates are a solid 30fps at a resolution of 1280x720, with normal exposure.

I quit guvcview, booted back into Cheese, and Cheese now works flawlessly-ish.

Not sure why or how this worked, but maybe it will help others who may be experiencing the same type of issue?

At any rate, now I just have to solve the audio sync problem when I record. :)

Thanks for making Cheese. I'm one step closer to being perfectly happy with it.