Using libcheese with Vala

Hi,

since a month or two I'm working on a small application which needs
Webcam-support. Initially, it was implemented in python using libcheese
from the gir-bindings ('gir1.2-cheese-3.x' on ubuntu), but I'd like to
port it to Vala for performance reasons.

My question is: What do I have to do to use libcheese from Vala?

To use my app with the python-bindings, the newest version of Ubuntu was
needed (Cheese >= 3.6). Does the same apply for Vala? I know Cheese is
built with Vala itself for some time, so I'd expect Vala-support for
libcheese to be older too?
At the moment I'm not even sure which package must be included in the
Makefile ('cheese-common' or 'cheese' or 'cheese-3.0' .. ?) for valac to
compile my application. I could only find information concerning
libcheese and python.

It would be very nice to get some help with this.

Cheers,
Moritz Renftle