RE: Possible Cheese project?

Hi Folks,

As you may know, I’m a prof. at Western New England University. I’ve been working with the GNOME A11y community for a year now along with a variety of students. This fall I am teaching a Software Engineering course and we would like to contribute to a FOSS project as a part of that.

The GNOME A11y community identified a need for web camera magnification capabilities including support for high contrast B/W and blue/yellow. There is also a need for a “guideline” to keep position on a screen for text. I understand that there are currently efforts to integrate Camerabin into Cheese to support magnification. Could you provide some direction as to possible contributions for students to take on? is the contrast and guideline functionality reasonable?

I have two teams, one of four students and one of three. We are just starting requirements so direction would be most helpful. Our semester ends the first week of December and so we’d like to have something that we could wrap up by then. We would also prefer not take on anything on a critical path.

And I took the kind advice of the community and found two Linux boxes and cameras for students to test (rather than try to use VirtualBox).

All thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

Heidi