Re: [PULL] cheese: overrun callback for slow machines

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 15:53 -0700, Brandon Philips wrote:
> On 23:12 Thu 09 Sep 2010, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > How do you capture directly to OGV if it can't encode to real time? By
> > > definition don't you need an intermediate cache on disk in some file
> > > format?
> >
> > Yes, you do.
>
> > But the capture shouldn't block the display,
>
> Hrm, what do you mean by this? When and why would capture block display?

Because you don't have any queues in between the video capture and the
encoding elements, so everything is synced together, for example.

The point being that it should queue compression on disk, or in memory
rather than tell people "your hardware is too slow". It's only too slow
because Theora compression is a pig CPU wise, and that shouldn't impact
on the user experience.