Not sure if this is the right spot, but... PulseAudio backend?

Hi,

I've used cheese in the past to great effect, but I have recently
managed to blow up my desktop PC's motherboard. This has forced me onto
my laptop, which has a built in microphone. The problem, you ask? The
internal likes to make sure the only sound it hears is the cooling fan
spinning up.

With the PulseAudio app, I can grab the levels off the webcam's
microphone, but no matter what Cheese insists on using my damn internal
:( Is it feasible to convert Cheese to use a PulseAudio backend for
recording? I'd be happy to make the modifications myself if someone was
willing to answer the many dumb questions I had while I was poking
around the code. Alternatively, is there some way I can go about making
the internal microphone 'invisible' (possibly with different kernel
options) to applications?

--Stephen