A brief tutorial on how Cheese works?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a face-tracking application, and would like
to capture video feed from a webcam and display it on a
GtkDrawingArea, and do some processing with it. Unfortunately, I could
not find too many webcam-access tutorials on Google, and resorted to
understanding how Cheese works. But now that has me confused as well.
Can anybody point me to some references on how Cheese works? Or maybe
there's an API that I can use? What does GStreamer CameraBin (which
you mention in your ToDo page) do?

BTW, you've built a great application,
Thanks in advance,
Mukund