some performance tunning opportunity of cheese

Hi all:

Cheese doesn’t perform well on my netbook, after some tries; I’d like discuss some opportunity with you.

1. ALSA or PulseAudio

Gconfaudiosrc is default to PulseAudio on my platform, however if I use ALSA directly, it will reduce CPU consummation.

For example, for audio only recording, Gst pipeline with PulseAudio src consumes 50%CPU, while with ALSA src consumes 30% CPU.

Should we add some options(man through UI) to let user select ALSA as audio src?

2. Vorbis vs FLAC

   If I use flacenc instead of vorbisenc, %CPU could decrease to 8% based on ALSA

   Should we add flac as a option for audio recording?

3. (max) fps, cheese always try to use the highest fps (no higher than 30) of camera.

However, it doesn’t make sense for most web-camera, you can’t see difference of 15fps or 30fps.

Should we add some option for it, or use 15 instead?

4. cheese on my netbook lack of a/v sync,

but when I add ‘do-timestamp’ for both audio and video src, and let audio src ‘provide-clock’. It will be ok for a/v sync.

Do you think it is a valid change?

5. there is also some preview latency on my netbook.

   When I add queue in the audio/video encode pipeline, it will be much better.

6. video sink ‘sync=false’

   Set ‘sync=false’ of video sink also benefits preview latency.

7. video effect is insteresting, it also add some startup time for pipeline status change.

When there is no video effect selected, we can optimize pipeline to reduce ~3s for Gst pipeline startup.

When there is only rgb or yuv based effect, we can also optimized pipleline to reduce ~3s pipeline startup

8. cheese will query camera capability during each launch time.

    However, in most case we don’t change the device, if we try to add some policy to save the capability for once (when the hw changed), and load the capabiltiy when hw hasn’t changed, it could reduce launch time ~3s

Your comments are welcome

ZHAO, Halley (Aihua)

Email: halley.zhao@intel.com

Tel: +86(21)61166476