Re: other recording-format planned?

Hi,

daniel g. siegel schrieb:
On So, 2008-03-23 at 21:20 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM, daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com> wrote:
hey!
 On So, 2008-03-23 at 20:43 +0100, arph gmx net wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > it's a very pain to edit the videos recorded with cheese. Neither virtual-dub, avidemux, cinelerra,
 > Adobe Premiere or kdenlive can handle the files in the right way.
 yeah ;) gst-ogg is doing some crap sometimes.
Works for me.

i currently cant test the quality here as video recording is broken with
my cam (jaap help me ;) )

The problem is rather with Vorbis/Theora adoption.

 > Are there plans that the format of the recorded video can be chosen before recording?
 we had some plans to do that, but after all we just used ogg as it was
 difficult to get that working on the cpu in realtime. i think we could
 have several formats, but does that really matter? or is it just because
 ogg doesnt work perfectly?
ogg is fine, I'd vote for a separate (dedicated) video conversion tool
for GNOME. Also useful if you plan to put your files on some other
devices (phones, PDAs, video consoles etc.)

would be an option too, as we are facing an export mechanism framework
in gnome

We have one proposal on the gstreamer GSoc 2008 for a gnoem media converter. Lets see if the project can make it. There is also a proposal for Encoding profiles [1] which I would mentor. If someone is interested, come to #gstreamer on freenode-irc or write to the gstreamer-devel mailing list.

[1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/EncodingProfiles

Stefan