Re: Dependency versions

hi andy!

On Di, 2008-01-08 at 20:39 +0000, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> In my quest to get cheese packaged for all SUSE releases including the
> enterprise builds, I have hit a bit of a wall - especially with the
> latest 0.3.0 release :(

is it really that hard? ;)

> My question is with the minimum versions required for the deps, like
> glib and gstreamer.  For 0.2.4 I am getting failures if glib is less
> than 0.2.12 is this correct?  Is it not possible to use anything lower
> than that? If so this release is limited to only building on 10.3 and 11.0

hmm.. i cant remember, why i put that into it. but cheese 0.2.4 needs
2.12.0 as i can see here. anyway you could try to modify the build files
for a glib version lower than that and see if cheese crashes.

the new symbols introduced in glib 2.12.0 are listed here
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.12/ix08.html, but at first glance
i cant see any function, which we used. so go ahead and try it on your
system.

> For 0.3.0 I am getting failures if gstreamer is lower than 0.10.15.  If
> this is correct then I will not be able to build cheese for any version
> of SUSE.

unfortunately we need 0.10.15 as quite a few important bugs were fixed.
sorry!

> The only way round at present would be to rebuild gstreamer and glib,
> but I dont have the time to maintain these and I would rather use the
> bundled distro releases.  As it stands Cheese is being looked at for
> inclusin in the upcoming release of openSUSE (11.0).

yeah, even the ubuntu guys have some problems, as they dont want to
include gstreamer 0.10.15 in their stable version. unfortunately there
is no way out of here...

daniel

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>