Re: [BuildStream] Responsive, but not overly verbose UX - not-in-scheduler

On 2019-05-29 08:34, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

[snip]

As far as I can see, rushing forward to implement this early logging
both:

  * Potentially regresses architectural corrections we made by ensuring
    that we do *not* have any dual standards/codepaths for logging.

  * Adds more burden to the larger task of process separation by adding
    yet more codepaths to deal with in this separation, instead of
    standardizing on a common API path for logging.

Please reconsider this.

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for your architectural concerns, I wouldn't want to cause architectural regressions here, either.

Do I understand correctly that the correct standard logging path for reporting progress here would be in `Context.message()`?

Also, based on what I know about the work to make the UI run in a separate process, I think that will cause there to be a regular frontend running at the point where we're loading elements. Would it be enough here to make sure that I keep in discussion with the people working on !1038 to make sure I'm using the same codepath as them, or are there other details I haven't taken into account?

It sounds like reporting when we load a junction will be tricker than I guessed. I'll make sure I'm on the same page as the people working on !1038, and have a look at whether Scheduler needs any work to run `Scheduler.run()` repeatedly in a clean way.

Thanks,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Maw, Software Engineer, Codethink Ltd.
Codethink privacy policy: https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html