Re: [BuildStream] Committer Policy

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 8:28 PM Laurence Urhegyi via buildstream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been meaning to submit a patch [0] to document the committer policy
for a while now (and took an action at the irc meeting to do so), as it
was proposed on this list [1] that we follow the Subversion policy [2].

Thanks for following up on this.

My list of full committers is not complete as I don't have access to see
who has the permissions on the protected branch (master) - I'll amend
the MR though. Essentially this patch confirms that we are not following
the 'one patch = commit access' rule that we introduced after GUADEC [3]
and are instead applying discretion to each case.

I have some questions, though:

1) Since I've only focused on adding in the full commit access for now,
how should we proceed with partial commit access? We'd need to agree on
how to split up the codebase areas and who should be assigned partial
access (see below for my suggestion of the potential split).

2) Do we really care about partial commit access? Things seem to be
working well at the moment in reviews (my patch doesn't change anything,
just documents the situation) and so maybe it's more hassle than it's
worth? Also, we'd need to think about how to do the logistical
separation of permissions between these different areas - I don't know
is Gitlab is capable of this...I know it has the concept of codeowners
[4].

This is all about trust.  Given we are using a VCS we shouldn't be too fussed about this, we can always return to a previous state if someone "abuses" their powers.  Following the social contract, as applying common sense is likely going to be enough.  If it turns out this is causing problems, we can introduce a more involved process then.

Thanks,
Laurence

Cheers,

Sander