Re: [BuildStream] unavailable artifact cache fatal warnings

Hey!

Since the thread seems stalled, I will go ahead and open an issue for my solution 3. Please let me know if you disagree.

Some answers inline.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Angelos Evripiotis via BuildStream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 11:39, Jim MacArthur via BuildStream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:
On 03/01/2019 10:15, Benjamin Schubert via BuildStream-list wrote:

> 3) Add the warning key in the user's configuration too, with it being
> used for global caches. Also use this warning configuration for every
> project that does not specify the warnings-fatal key
>
> What do you think? What would you prefer to see? I like the third
> option the most, but it is also the most complex to implement. I will
> create an issue about that once we have consensus.

I think this is the best option, too. I think as a user the least
surprising thing would be for the set of fatal warnings to be the union
of the user-configured and project-configured ones - would that be possible?

Jim

+1

I’m thinking a classic cascade of overrides like:

- ~/.config/buildstream.conf
- project.conf
- (Environment vars)
- (CLI)

Where all the caches are configurable at each level.

It’s possible that project.conf should be at the top instead, since it’s in source control.

> Currently, we have buildstream.conf -> project.conf -> buildstream.conf:projects with "->" means "gets overriden by" and I think it is the easiest to go with, since having everything configurable on the cli become hard.

I think it also makes sense for users to be able to specify defaults, but projects to override them.
Perhaps we could have that design in mind and only implement things as folks need them, YAGNI-style.