Re: [BuildStream] BuildStream Versioning & Releases

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 14:11, Sander Striker via BuildStream-list
<buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:

Hi,

First of all Happy New Year.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 11:20 AM Paul Sherwood <paul sherwood codethink co uk> wrote:
[...]

FWIW I previously attempted to get bst releasing and versioning
simplified [1] and didn't get far. Just one of many examples where I and
colleagues failed to achieve common understanding...

Anyway I agree with you that in an alternative universe it would have
been better to avoid claiming 1.x but I'm not sure how we can fix that
now.

My proposal would be to stop doing 1.x releases altogether, and to wait with doing a 2.0 release until we
are satisfied we can give the stability guarantees that are associated with a major release.
In the meantime we can figure out a way to do 2.0 alpha releases, or some other convenience for our early
adopters.

while I'm with changes in the release model, bst-1.2.x releases are
currently being used to build some FOSS projects in the open, like
freedesktop-sdk and GNOME

Last bst-1.2.x release has been done 3 months ago (5 Oct), and there
are some fixes in the bst-1.2 branch that those projects are still
waiting for

So at least I think it would be great to do a another bst-1.2.x
release before moving to the new release model

<snip>

Cheers,
Javier