Re: [BuildStream] Migration of plugins away from BuildStream core

On 26/02/2019 12:09, Laurence Urhegyi wrote:
On 2019-02-26 11:43, Jim MacArthur via BuildStream-list wrote:
On 26/02/2019 11:07, Phil Dawson via BuildStream-list wrote:

From various discussions on the mailing list and during the last two
gatherings, this part seems to be fairly uncontroversial. However,
please shout out if you disagree.

Could you link to the start of some of the discussions? I have done a
search for 'migration', 'plugins' and 'bst-external' on the mailing
list archive, and can't find anything other than a discussion on the
docker plugin.

I rounded up some of the chats we had at the October 2018 gathering in this mail:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-December/msg00145.html

But it may actually be better to start with the January Gathering notes on the topic:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bENn0gIHDPyTXaRwqSoA2F11gn55vvWLB7qMIe3Pk1U/edit#heading=h.hh1no92d8o4r

And some previous posts from Phil on migrating OSTree and testing BuildStream against external plugins:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2019-January/msg00056.html https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2019-February/msg00005.html

I've now read all the above sources, and all the documents linked from your first message, but not anything linked further than that; this has taken me about 30 minutes so far.

Nothing yet in there says why we're planning to move plugins out of core. The only one that hints at it is Agustin's summary of the 2018 Gathering, which quotes:

"BuildStream doesn't want to keep all that baggage"

... and that's it, that's all the justification I can find. Note that this document also says:

"Second reason is for keeping plugins that are not yet mature enough [...] but eventually want to move into the BuildStream core, e.g. X86Image". This directly contradicts today's plan; we are planning to move mature plugins out of core.

Also: "BuildStream cannot maintain every plug-in that people write, we cannot bring them all into core. But we should have a convenient set of plugins distributed with the core"... which I fully agree with. It then explains some of the pain users have already reported from having to use bst-external.

Incidentally I've spent most of today trying to get bst-external installed inside a docker container so I can use the quilt plugin. It's a long way from what Phil Dawson describes as "trivially installable".

I agree with what Mathieu Bridon has said: Without things like git and tar, BuildStream does not do anything useful.

Jim