Re: [BuildStream] Migration of plugins away from BuildStream core

On 26/02/2019 11:43, Mathieu Bridon via BuildStream-list wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned at all is distribution packaging. I
maintain the Fedora package for Buildstream.

As it is, `dnf install buildstream` on Fedora provides something that
is very useful out of the box.

With the migration, all those plugin repositories will need to be
packaged separately.

I personally do not plan on doing that. I signed up to maintain one
package, and it suddenly transforms into 10+ packages under me, which
is not something I'm happy about.

Unless somebody else steps up to maintain those plugin packages, that
means people using dnf to install Buildstream will be extremely
disappointed, as they do not get any more something readily useful.

Of course, if somebody does want to maintain all those plugin packages,
I am more than happy to transfer to them the main buildstream package
as well.

Hi Mathieu

Thanks for raising your concerns. I'm sorry you feel this way, for
more effective upstream management we feel this is necessary
however.

As far as maintenance of the fedora distro package goes, one approach
would be to package all the requisite python modules into a single RPM
for Fedora.

Cheers,

Phil

--
Phil Dawson, Software Engineer                          Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/