Re: [BuildStream] Performance: Weekly update - Benchmarking the Debian-like project

Heya James,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM James Ennis <james ennis codethink co uk> wrote:
.. snip ..
I've had a mess around with trying to host the weekly_extract notebook on GitLab and Github, unfortunately
I've been unable to get GitLab to render this. Works well for GitHub though.

Oh dear! Does GitLab not render the notebook at all, or is it that the
figures are missing? If the latter then they may possibly appear if
you drop the "%matplotlib notebook" statements, and let it select the
backend. This will probably mean that you don't get interactivity when
actually editing though, so probably only worth it to confirm that's
related to the problem.

I then tried viewing the notebook with nbviewer (via the notebook which was stored on my github repo),
unfortunately we lose the interactivity meaning that if we do it this way we can no longer click on a data
point and view the MR/branch :(
Do you have any ideas as to how we could keep the interactivity?

Unfortunately not! I had a quick dig around and didn't find anything
obvious and easy that would work with nbviewer.

Anyway, I agree that the notebook should be easier to 'just view', so I'm going to try and deploy them to
gitlab pages, failing that, I'll commit them to (somewhere on) GitHub.

If the notebooks are standalone and know how to acquire their data,
e.g. with '!wget ...', then folks could also run them interactively
with mybinder: https://mybinder.org/

Thanks,
James

Cheers!