Re: [BuildStream] [Buildgrid] BuildStream and BuildBox progress and plans

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your comments.

On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 07:02 -0400, Ed Baunton wrote:
Currently it seems that it would be very easy for something to change in the buildbox world (say,
command line parsing) that would break BuildStream. Do we have an end to end setup that will
allow us to validate changes in buildbox against BuildStream? Is that something that can be done
per MR?

For the (experimental) buildbox sandboxing backend we already have a
new BuildStream CI job that tests buildbox-fuse (in the future we'll
switch to buildbox-run) end to end with BuildStream.

However, we use a pinned buildbox-fuse commit to avoid blocking the
BuildStream CI pipeline if the buildbox-fuse interface breaks. It might
be sensible to add another CI job that tests with buildbox-fuse master
but marked as non-gating.

For buildbox-casd: With !1499 BuildStream master will have a hard
requirement on buildbox-casd and thus, BuildStream CI is obviously
testing with casd as well, in all CI jobs.

This also uses pinned buildbox-common/buildbox-casd commits (via Docker
testsuite images). An additional non-gating CI job to test buildbox-
common/buildbox-casd master may be sensible here as well.

Also, does the integration of Buildbox with BuildStream make any implicit statements that it is 'stable'
software at this point? I am not sure we are ready to say that buildbox-fuse or CASD are production
ready.

No. I certainly hope that there will be stable releases of the BuildBox
components well in time for BuildStream 2.0. However, for current
BuildStream master I don't see this as an issue. I've also mentioned in
the installation instructions¹ that BuildBox is still in development.

Cheers,
Jürg

¹ https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/website/merge_requests/123