Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: bst artifact subcommand group

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 07:48:33PM +0900, Tristan Van Berkom via Buildstream-list wrote:
Beyond this:

  o It will be interesting to allow artifact operations to specify
    elements instead of artifact names, for the cases where you just
    want to use the artifact who's cache key corresponds to the project
    state.

This is easy, it's just a matter of loading the element
and asking the cache what ref it would be.

  o It would also be interesting to move `checkout`, `push` and `pull`
    commands under the new `artifact` group (deprecating the existing
    commands).

    This will open up the door to performing checkouts etc at the
    artifact level instead of only supporting the artifacts who's
    cache keys correspond to the project state.

This is less easy.

To not duplicate the logic we need to either turn our Artifacts into "Elements",
or re-architect to expose interfaces that operate on Artifacts
and handle Elements by turning them into Artifacts first.

I looked at turning Artifacts into "Elements",
which could be done with custom Project and Loader classes,
but it looks to be more work than I've time for before 1.4.

If `bst checkout` is going to be deprecated in 1.4
you won't be able to use the options for running integration commands
or whether to include dependencies when specifying an element name.

--
Codethink Ltd., 3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street, MANCHESTER, M1 2HF.
https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html