Re: Building BuildStream with BuildStream (dog-fooding)

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for bringing this up.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:23 PM Laurence Urhegyi <Laurence Urhegyi codethink co uk> wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to start a discussion about dog-fooding with BuildStream. I think there
are some clear benefits to this:

* Demonstrate confidence in BuildStream.
* Increase the amount of real world use cases, thus identifying more bugs.
* Mitigating against the risk of developers working 'in a vacuum', by ensuring
developers are also users of the tool.

There is a risk that this will prove more difficult than anticipated, and
potentially serve as a distraction that does not bring as much benefit as
desired, but I think this risk is quite low, overall.

I agree.  I expect this to be well worth it.

Anyway, there are people involved in the project who are much more informed on
the matter than I. So far, having spoken to people informally about this, there
seems to be a general consensus that this is clearly a good idea, but
BuildStream is probably not yet ready for it.

This actually concerns me; if any project should be ready for it, it's the project the BuildStream developers actually work on.

I welcome all thoughts on this.
Is
anything currently blocking it from happening that you know of? I have also
opened up a gitlab ticket for this:

https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/410

Cheers,

Sander