Re: Building BuildStream with BuildStream (dog-fooding)

Hi,

On Tuesday, 29 May 2018 23:23:07 CEST Laurence Urhegyi wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to start a discussion about dog-fooding with BuildStream. I think
there are some clear benefits to this:

* Demonstrate confidence in BuildStream.
* Increase the amount of real world use cases, thus identifying more bugs.
* Mitigating against the risk of developers working 'in a vacuum', by
ensuring developers are also users of the tool.

There is a risk that this will prove more difficult than anticipated, and
potentially serve as a distraction that does not bring as much benefit as
desired, but I think this risk is quite low, overall.

Anyway, there are people involved in the project who are much more informed
on the matter than I. So far, having spoken to people informally about
this, there seems to be a general consensus that this is clearly a good
idea, but BuildStream is probably not yet ready for it. I welcome all
thoughts on this. Is anything currently blocking it from happening that you
know of? I have also opened up a gitlab ticket for this:

https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/410

Dogfooding is one of those key practices that has made Open Source what it is
today. I have written about it a couple of times. The last one I believe it
was back in 2016: http://toscalix.blogspot.com/2016/05/testing-quality-really.html

In the same line, if we want the tool to be successful in a Cont. Delivery
context, we should release it following such principles.

This coming release will highlight how important will be to have somebody
focused on operations once you move from R&D to a pre-productization phase.

Best Regards
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant