Re: [Add Gitlab features to BuildStream 01/04]: Milestones

On May 21, 2018, at 9:01 PM, Agustín Benito Bethencourt <agustin benito codethink co uk> wrote:

Hi,

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 23:48:53 CEST Agustín Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

### Milestones

Milestones allow us to structure all activities in groups and relate these
group of actions with time frames. This is extremely useful for road-mapping
and visualization, specially when releases are approaching.

General description of how milestones work on Gitlab:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ ee/user/project/milestones/

Proposal: make use of milestones as a high level structure of our
activities:
* Create a global milestone for the ongoing work:
buildstream_v1.1
* Create another global milestone for the future work:
buildstream_v1.2

I need to confirm the following information in order to add the right dates to
the milestones. Having this info clear will help me also in a parallel task I
am working on which is visualising the current roadmap.

1. I was informed today that the current intention is to release the next
stable version, BuildStream v1.2.0, together with the GNOME stable release,
which according to their roadmap page[1] will take place on Wednesday
September 5th (GNOME 3.30.0)

Is this correct?

Our release will have a deadline before that, see the release schedule for "tarballs due" dates.

2. When will we release the last version of the 1.1.x serie? 1.1.n RD
(Relesase Day)

Whatever is the last 1.1 before 1.2, is the last (1.1 is the work towards 1.2 stable).

After this 1.3.x is dev towards 1.4, and bugfixes get backports to 1.2.x

3. Are we planning to have a stabilization phase between 1.1.n RD and 1.2.0
RD? Or both, development (BuildStream v1.3.0) and stabilization (BuildStream
v1.2.0) will run in parallel?  In other words, are we going to focus all the
effort to produtization/release tasks during that interval?

We follow feature freezes from GNOME but not string freezes, because we are currently not translatable.

Those freezes are also on the GNOME release schedule in the GNOME wiki.

If we do not know at this point the answer to this third question, I will
assume for now that the stabilization phase will not run in parallel with the
development of the next dev version so the Milestone sequence is easier. I
will adapt the dates once we know the answer to this question.

In any case, to differentiate dev. and stable releases, it seems wise to add a
third milestone BuildStream_v1.3 on gitlab to avoid confusion with how our
development vs stable releases work. The description will be also improved.

To be honest I dont know what a 1.1 or 1.3 milestone could "mean", I think we only want 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 etc
milestones: even number stable releases are the milestones we are "working towards", odd number minor points
only symbolize development cycles (periodic releases of unstable/development branch).

Think of it this way: Any feature targeting milestone 1.2, must be introduced in 1.1 before feature freeze.

In order to track closely the work done in this regard, please activate the
notifications of this ticket: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/nosoftware/
alignment/issues/10

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointTwentynine

Best Regards