Re: Release on PyPi

Hi,

On Thu, 2018-06-28 at 19:28 +0100, Chandan Singh wrote:
I don't think that BuildStream is really suitable for distribution
in the python package distribution model.

I agree that the python packaging model isn't quite right for
BuildStream and as you mention we have issues with pip even locally.
But, my point is that while we are using pip anyway, we might as well
upload it to PyPi so that install and update operations become
slightly simpler and do not require a Git checkout of the BuildStream
repository.

You don't actually need a Git checkout:

$ pip install git+https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream.git

Pip will clone and checkout itself in a temporary dir, and install from
it.

You can install releases with:

$ pip install git+https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream.git@1.1.3

The way I look at it, if we are going to solve #332 relatively soon,
then we should definitely wait for it. Otherwise, I do see some value
in publishing to PyPi with the understanding that we may change the
preferred method of installation in future.

Another point in favour of publishing to Pypi is to avoid somebody else
squatting the BuildStream name and uploading their own (malicious?)
code there.

--
Mathieu