Re: How to keep our backlog healthier and improve the WIP visibility

Take this as a constructive disagreement. If mailing list works for Buildstream I can live with it. Maybe with time I could find why it is better.

I see lot of implementations starting from blurry ideas on issue trackers, where you can discuss, attach MR to support your thoughts, link other issues, add images, screencasts, get partial reviews, pass CI. Plain text emails (where someone answer in the middle of previous response) is a sustainable way to discuss ideas?

Personally I'm not scared about having issues open for years, that didn't mean anything, but help people to relay on issue tracker about status of a feature, like: I though about this feature, let's see if someone has the same idea, or if there's any WIP branch with some explanations with problems with it.

As we use communication channels like IRC with bots linked to issue trackers, that's another reason to agreed with issue tracker as core channel for discussion.

In general, the pace for IRC/bots vs mailing list is slower in several orders of magnitude, maybe that's better for important features, I experimented that on GNOME mailing list about bridge our IRC gimpnet to matrix.org. the post had lot of traction and responses, but can see why discuss on an issue tracker would be less effective (apart from people use to discuss on mail list).

The main idea is that issue tracker is and always will be, a chaos. The concept of icelog (before backlog) can be useful, as the automated closing of issues without updates for X time.