Re: Documentation: update and future improvements

On 22/06/18 18:30, Tristan Van Berkom via Buildstream-list wrote:
I've suggested a way to structure this, which is essentially having
tutorials to show the different use cases that BuildStream caters
for,
which get more complex as the reader goes through them:
* Building a project
* Developing a project
* Working with Buildstream in a team
* Advanced Projects

<snip>
Tutorial Entries
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I expect to add a couple of chapters to this but to keep it limited.

Were you planning to do the work and land these before GUADEC? I've been discussing with Phil Dawson and he's said he'd like to pick this up, which makes sense as he's still learning BuildStream.

 In
the tutorial we still need to teach:

   o integration-commands
   o split-rules and compose
   o workspaces

This is a journey through the basics of BuildStream which should be
kept brief enough to complete the exercises within in a few hours.

You seem to be vaguely endorsing the suggested structure here? We should ensure the tutorials cover the above and we keep them clear and brief.

Examples
~~~~~~~~
These have almost the same structure as the tutorial entries do, except
do not have an overview and summary section, these focus more on
explaining how a given project example works.

An abundant number of things could be exampled in these examples, the
focus here is to have examples that are proven to keep working (we test
that they work in CI).

Yes, whilst my initial mail just focused on tutorials, examples is another hot topic - we are planning to improve the X86-image [0] and Netsurf [1] examples.

If anyone has any further ideas for examples, we'd all welcome those too, either just an idea or (preferably) a patch :)

[0] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/438
[1] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/439

Thanks,
Laurence