Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: Add support for running tests in BuildStream

On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 08:08 +0100, Paul Sherwood wrote:
On 2018-07-19 07:52, Tristan Van Berkom via Buildstream-list wrote:
[...]
Now Tristan's comment...

From what I understand, your proposal explicitly tries to reduce the
number of elements in your pipeline - while conversely, the design of

<snip>

While I think it's correct that Chandan has an (implied) interest in
avoiding too many bst files, I don't think that's the main drive for his
proposal.

Regarding organisation of elements vs bst files, the approach we ended
up with in YBD was to separate by convention, not by enforcement in
code. For example YBD can parse a whole cluster (including set of
systems, made up of strata, with all component *commands etc) from a
single file. I tried to make this as permissive as possible for users,
by scanning the whole directory tree looking for what might count as
applicable definitions files.

Right, the data model in YBD is significantly different in this regard
as the core had intimate knowledge of the data types (e.g. "strata
contain chunks" etc).

That said, I think that some productivity features for the users
convenience at this level can certainly be added to BuildStream to
allow people to maintain their projects in ways that are more
convenient for their particular projects.

I did not go into specifics of Chandan's proposal as I expect he
already has some understanding of how impactful the proposed changes
are, but some points for the wider readership...

Two of the high impact implications which are not explored in depth in
Chanan's propsal are:

  o That an element now has different dependencies depending on what
    it's doing... does this mean even more cache keys ?

    It's highly desirable to keep the dependency model simple

  o The proposal implies that an artifact can be created and consumed
    by other elements as dependencies... but the artifact can later be
    modified by a test (this is what I understand by causing the "same
    element" to fail).

    One might argue that the artifact does not exist until it has been
    pushed to a server where artifacts are stored and shared, and that
    we mitigate the existence of failed artifacts by not sharing them,
    but I think this is incorrect. Rather, the sharing of artifacts
    should remain a productivity feature but not a requirement for the
    safe operation of BuildStream.

Another point that this ignores is that tests are not necessarily
relevant to every kind of element, but are certainly relevant to the
build elements.

My argument is that there are other ways to approach this which are
safer and can be achieved without aggressive redesign - using a
separate element in the data model (but not necessarily in the user's
.bst files) should allow this.