Re: Topics for the Monday and Wednesday BoFs

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 01:39:16PM +0200, Agustín Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

here is a list of topics I have collected to go through at the BuildStream
BoFs.

I would appreciate if you provide feedback in two points:
* Additional topics you want to go through.
* Which topics should we go over in which day so we maximize the attendance or
we can bring the key people.

Topics list so far:

* Release team experience with BuildStream - Cantazaro ?
* 1.2 blockers - @tristanvb
* Startup performance (interrogating cache  is too much). - ?
* Improvements in Code Review governance. - @tristanvb
* Gitlab related topics
   * Notifications through mail - @toscalix
   * Evaluation of the capabilities to integrate Gitlab and mailing lists to
send merge requests and diffs to the mailing list. - @toscalix
* Merging CAS - @juergbi
* Bootable images (complete systems) - @jjardon
* VCS reduction (BoF) - ?
* Documentation - @toscalix
* BuildStream release
   * Schedule - @toscalix
   * Goals - @tristanvb @jjardon  and @toscalix
   * Key features - @tristanvb
   * Release checklist - @toscalix
* Freedesktop SDK - Javier and Adam
* Building Flatpak apps with BuildStream- Valentin

I believe Richard Maw has 2 or three additional ones.

*   BuildStream on Windows and OS X.

    We've had interest expressed in being able to
    use BuildStream on Windows or OS X to build applications.

    We think it ought to be able to "just work" for building Linux software
    with remote execution or Docker backends,
    and making appropriate checks
    for which backends are valid
    so we get an appropriate error message instead of a stack trace.

    We think packaging for homebrew and a PPA for Ubuntu in WSL
    are the minimum diversion from a common workflow.

    We hope to come to agreement on an approach,
    so any feedback from anyone familiar with this,
    or that by attempting this we're not going to cause problems for anyone.

*   SourceCache

    Related to https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/440.

    Sources get reused when commands or dependencies change,
    so there can be value in caching the result
    from not needing to do the work again.

    It becomes more interesting when we have an intermediate remote SourceCache,
    since we can then have workers not need to have all the tools/credentials
    for fetching sources, and leave it to a single place,
    so we don't need to redundantly fetch every git repository to every worker.

    By using CAS we can deduplicate redundant changes between projects
    independent from how the source code was stored upstream,
    and may be able to stage trees on-demand via FUSE,
    which would benefit building things out of large monorepos.

    We hope to be able to begin implementing this soon,
    so feedback on our approach and whether it could cause problems is wanted.

*   Dogfooding BuildStream

    We've had discussion of how to develop BuildStream with BuildStream.

    We've had discussions with some users
    and would like to get enough feedback to decide on an approach for our team
    so we don't end up developing anything to the detriment of other users.

I am looking forward for your feedback, so I can add a tentative agenda to the
wiki at the end of today. Obviously, BoFs is about flexibility too, so we will
start every sessions discussing the agenda itself.

Best Regards

--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

--
Codethink Ltd., 3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street, MANCHESTER, M1 2HF.
https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html