Re: [BuildStream] Shorter emails, please?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 13:53:09 +0000, Paul Sherwood via BuildStream-list wrote:
I wonder if I'm alone in sighing when confronted by long walls of text on
this list?

You are not alone.

If others, like me, would like to see crisper communications, please let's
consider these three tricks:

1) focus on one topic in an email, rather than attempting to 'boil the
ocean'. If necessary split your message into a series of mails.

One problem with splitting into a series of mails can be that connectivity
between points made in separate emails is hard to maintain.

2) When replying, use <snip> and only include the specific comment you are
responding to

Heck yes.  The lack of snipping on this list has, at times, meant I've simply
marked an entire thread as "read" and moved on because I can't deal with it.

3) If there really needs to be a longer doc, stick it in the wiki, or a blog
post - then summarise the key points in your email and provide a link

This is where I diverge from your opinion somewhat.  I think discussion of
points is nearly impossible via blogs, and much harder via a wiki, than it is
via a well managed mailing list thread.

I would, however, recommend that people who have been engaged in a long and/or
complex discussion band together and write summaries of their threads where
appropriate.

Thanks for raising this,

Daniel.

P.S. I expect to raise a long long email on Friday but I promise to ensure it
starts with a tl;dr, and is well structured for ease of reading.  I'm hoping nobody
will respond to it until after the winter break (though that they'll read it before
then).

--
Daniel Silverstone                          https://www.codethink.co.uk/
Solutions Architect               GPG 4096/R Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69