[BuildStream] Follow on from https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-December/msg00042.html

Hi,

It was brought to my attention that some results from benchmarking might be pertinent for the discussion about build trees, as such I have the following results:

Benchmarking tests were run for "Build of Baserock stage1-binutils for x86_64" using the gitlab runner that we have setup for nightly runs together with a handcrafted
benchmark configuration file (and handcrafted buildstream spur branch).

The results are as follows:

Pre-merge (Commit prior to build tree caching being merged)

Commit: "Merge branch 'Qinusty/275' into master" - Date: 29-05-2018

Buildstream SHA                            Average time across 3 runs
---                                        --------------------------
364706f3282b840d2ff3268ce83904277c8a63e8 - 79.43s

Merge (Commit associated with the addition of tree caching)

Commit: "Adding caching build trees"     - Date: 29-05-2018

Buildstream SHA                            Average time across 3 runs
e70237a54e4a0d4b5aa0497de6ea6544abc5c2a8 - 92.433s

The logged results can be found at:

   https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/benchmarks/-/jobs/133094238

Summary
=======

The results show an increase of ~13 seconds in build time going from a test run against a commit just prior to the merge of build tree caching and one run with it added.