Re: [BuildStream] Invalid characters for element names

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 17:35:47 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
Also, if we are staying with ASCII for now, do we want to support
extended ASCII?

I don't understand what you're asking. So-called "Extended ASCII" would
mean not staying with ASCII. Either we support full Unicode/UTF-8 with
clearly defined exceptions or we support a subset of (7-bit) ASCII
(e.g., the one that Bazel uses). It doesn't make sense to support any
of the non-Unicode extensions to ASCII, in my opinion.

I think it's worth jumping in here and saying that (at least) UNIX filenames
are *NOT* unicode/utf-8.  They are bytestrings.  As such we either limit
to 7-bit ASCII or we punch holes in the valid *bytes* permitted.  We *cannot*
ascribe meaning to the byte sequences on Linux or other UNIXlike OSes.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                          https://www.codethink.co.uk/
Solutions Architect               GPG 4096/R Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69