Re: [BuildStream] Invalid characters for element names

On Fri, 2018-12-07 at 16:25 +0000, Chandan Singh wrote:
On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 4:15 PM Sander Striker <s striker striker nl>
wrote:
Looking at Bazel which is in a similar space, it seems to allow:

Target names allow all 7-bit ASCII characters except
  0-31 (control characters)
  58 ':' (colon)
  92 '\' (backslash) - directory separator (on Windows); may be
allowed in the future
  127 (delete)

I am wondering if there's a desire to allow non-ASCII characters in
filenames, or is limiting it to ASCII good enough? I found a related
issue [3] for Bazel requesting to allow any characters, but it's been
open for a few years now.

Also, if we are staying with ASCII for now, do we want to support
extended ASCII?

I don't understand what you're asking. So-called "Extended ASCII" would
mean not staying with ASCII. Either we support full Unicode/UTF-8 with
clearly defined exceptions or we support a subset of (7-bit) ASCII
(e.g., the one that Bazel uses). It doesn't make sense to support any
of the non-Unicode extensions to ASCII, in my opinion.

Jürg