Re: [BuildStream] Buildtrees in 1.4 release

Hi Tristan,

Sorry for taking so long to respond here, I've been ill for a while.

On 2018-11-30 06:28, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
To me, this opening statement on a public list reads like someone
yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

I don't think you realize this or that you intended it this way :)

Well, thanks for going easy on me :)

I was trying to bring a few private conversations into the open, which I think is the right thing.

<snip>
    Which means we have had more than an entire release cycle to
    make this work perfectly - having to back this out now, would be
    very sad.

I agree, of course. But there are a plethora of factors as to why that might be the case, which are not worth going into :)

  * I am doubtful of the importance of any option for *creation* of
    build trees, especially now that we have local cache cleanup
    in a robust enough state.
<snip>
    Has anyone even raised an issue or proposed that *creation* of
    the build trees should be optional ?

Unclear. I think it needs some discussion, though. Will get this started off.

<snip>
It makes no sense for people to be developing in a state of panic, and
since we did try to change the release dates in mid cycle, not doing so
this cycle is a lot less drastic than backing out features.

Both options seem drastic, but given the low number of users we have it might indeed be more sensible.

Do we know how a delay might affect users - is anyone desperately waiting for 1.4?

We should look at this before we make a call to delay, in my opinion.

It's worth reaching out to both the guys on the Freedesktop SDK project about this and also the GNOME Release Team (one of which if you, of course :)) at least, if we haven't already.

Thanks,
Laurence