[BuildStream] Debuggers

Has any one used buildstream and a debugger together? In the buildstream shell? I would like to know how far people have got with this, I know gnome use buildstream but many developers don't so i wondered if some gnome people had debuggers working already, or if this is a thing holding more back?

I am trying to get my head around a specific debugger and so I would like to know what the current state of the art is for others is?

Many Thanks

Will