[BuildStream] Bst support on MacOSX and Windows

Hi Everyone,

I have recently begun work on making BuildStream run on MacOSX and Windows 10

The issues for these and my current plans are on gitlab [1] [2]

So far I have managed to make MacOSX pass unit tests, while only having to skip a couple of tests (more on
this later)
But am having less luck on Windows, due to WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) currently not supporting fuse.

As I understand it, the Microsoft team are currently working on fuse compatibility with WSL, but there is no
timeline on when that will finish.
So for now I am open to suggestions on ways to get around this issue.

The current plan is to use remote execution (currently in development) to achieve this since, as I understand
it,
that would remove the need for fuse entirely from the client machine.
But the future goal is to have full local WSL builds possible, so I feel it is worth beginning the discussion
on it now

The other issue I am running into (previously referenced) is regarding Hardlinks on MacOSX.
Currently I am bypassing these tests by marking them as "skip" if on a MacOSX system, however this does not
resolve the underlying issue.
When allowed to fail, the test returns a "Failed to remove $path Operation not permitted", and this seems to
occur when trying to remove a directory in the cache.

I would appreciate any input on reasons for this error and potential ways it can be resolved,
and would like to open the dialog on "What to do about WSL missing fuse"
Do we wait for official support?
Are we aware of any 3rd party options we might be able to use?

I open the floor to others with more knowledge of the field!

Kind regards,
Phillip (Nexus)

[1] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/411
[2] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/412

--
Phillip Smyth, Software Engineer                           Codethink Ltd
Telephone: +44 7762 840 414        3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street