Re: Manifests and metadata

On 07/11/17 06:15, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
For your use case anyway, I think what you want is just enhanced
logging in the compose element (not in the master log, in the log of
the actual compose element).

OK, if the compose element's log file contained a manifest of which file came from where, that would be enough for me to work out what is going wrong.

This will mean that we end up with big log files when doing big composes. For example the Freedesktop BaseSDK (which is small, as distros go) contains 45,380 files, and if I list each file using `ostree ls -R` that produces 3.1MB of output. Composes for large systems could easily produce 10MB log files; and while many nearly identical builds of a compose element will be deduplicated by OSTree and will not grow the cache by much, their log files will likely differ each time and will just mount up.

I think this is a small enough issue that we can ignore it, but we need to be careful about putting /too/ much into logs.

We also still need to think about a way of making access to the log files convenient; currently I have do this by poking around in the artifact cache directly. but as long as we document the procedure then it should be OK for now.

Sam

--
Sam Thursfield, Codethink Ltd.
Office telephone: +44 161 236 5575