Re: Profiling and optimisation of BuildStream

On Fri, 2017-12-22 at 14:20 +0000, Sam Thursfield wrote:
Hi,
Angelos has already started some discussions about benchmarking and
performance, and I've now got time to start looking into this as well.

In order to coordinate things, I've started up a wiki page at
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/BuildStream/Performance

I can see there will be a desire to create a bunch of wiki pages and
this will grow with time, so it's important to not end up with a messy
pile of relevant stuff mixed in with irrelevant stuff.

Looking at this, it looks like the beginnings of a roadmap for a
project regarding optimization, this can be a good thing so long as a
team is working on this, and an individual is going to be responsible
for maintaining the roadmap throughout; the page can live somewhere
forever for posterity - and I would recommend keeping the details in
the bug reports and link out to those reports as much as possible from
the roadmap (creating bug reports for work items where necessary);
while keeping track of the overall progress of this project on the wiki
page.

I would then recommend that we restructure the wiki so that our old
roadmap (mostly complete) becomes a `Initial2017/` subdir of
`/Roadmaps/`, and that we add the above page as `Performance2018/`
beside that.

This should help avoid crowding and accumulation of cruft in the long
term.