Re: [Builder] Emacs mode and keybindings

On ons, 2015-02-18 at 12:25 -0800, Christian Hergert wrote:
Thanks for doing this Alex!

I am curious if it is possible to do the same with VIM mode. It has a
lot of very strange interactions that are not exactly doable with
G_SIGNAL_ACTION. When I tried to do a few things, I simply couldn't get
it working. But that was months ago, and my mind slips as to why. I
might have just moved on to other things due to the level of importance.

I don't really know vim, but i took a look at this. I believe it would
be possible to do a lot of stuff that vim needs, but some things are
really hard to express with bindings + action signals.
For instance, count prefixes are hard (actually emacs has this too and
we don't do it atm).
Recording and replaying is also hard. I wish every modification of the
textview (including text insertion) was an action signal, then we could
record and replay these in a generic fashion.

A good place to start cleaning this up would be to move as much generic
functionality from gb-source-vim.c into generic actions and action
signals on GbSourceView so that things can be reused between different
editor emulators.

Also we need to figure out how much of these other editors builder
really wants to support. The more you import of specific editor
behaviour, the more that starts to affect the UI of builder, because
people expect a specific behaviour in their editor. For instance, the
emacs split view keybindings don't really mirror the way the builder
splits work, so its kinda tricky to wire them up in a useful way.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's an all-American hunchbacked dog-catcher She's an orphaned snooty
advertising executive on the trail of a serial killer. They fight crime!