Re: Multisession DVD creation problem.

Hi,

i am not a Brasero user but backend programmer of libburn.

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/gnomeuser/html/book.gnomeuser/cha.gnome.burn.html#sec.brasero.multisession
only describes how to start a multi-session medium.

This seems to imply that adding another session needs no special user
interaction. The filesystem tree of the previous session must be loaded
and should be displayed by Brasero.

Putting an appendable DVD+R into /dev/sr4 and starting Brasero 3.11.4
offers me "Data project" and then a white screen with the advise to
"Add" or "Remove" files.
A footer line says "Blank DVD-RW Disc: 2.7 GB of free space" (which is
wrong in respect to type and state but not in respect to size).

In the top line i see a drive-and-CD icon with move-over text
"Import Data DVD+R".
I click and get to see the file list of the root directory of the
ISO 9660 filesystem on the DVD+R.

Did not go further in order not to alter my test DVD+R.

I would expect that Brasero can do multi-session on DVD-R, DVD+R, and
unformatted DVD-RW.
On DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, formatted DVD-RW it depends on how much it knows about
the growisofs-style emulation of multisession with ISO 9660 filesystems.

With DVD+RW my Brasero imports the existing ISO 9660 tree and lets
me add a directory. But when i click "Burn ..." i get asked whether i
want to blank the the medium (or replace it or cancel). If i agree to
blanking, i only get burned my newly added directory over the existing
filesystem.

I.e. the old directory trees are gone !

The only warning was the question whether i want to blank the DVD+RW.
No refusal was to see when i composed the filesystem with old and new
directory trees.

Well, maybe your version is smarter.

You may inspect the medium state whether it is usable for appending sessions
by this shell command:

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -toc

If the medium is appendable, then you will see among other messages:

  Media current: DVD+R
  Media product: CMC_MAG/M01/48 , CMC Magnetics Corporation
  Media status : is written , is appendable
  Media blocks : 950976 readable , 1342080 writable , 2295104 overall
  TOC layout   : Idx ,  sbsector ,       Size , Volume Id
  ISO session  :   1 ,         0 ,    950976s , d-live 9.3.0 xf amd64
  Media summary: 1 session, 950976 data blocks, 1857m data, 2621m free
  Media nwa    : 953024s

Important is "appendable" in contrast to "closed" or "blank". The line
"media nwa" will only appear with appendable media (next writable address).
The numbers like "950976", "1857m" will probably differ with your medium.
(From your report i conclude that not more than 1 session is on the DVD.)

A DVD+RW with ISO 9660 filesystem will also be classified by xorriso
as appendable. (And of course it will not accidentially overwrite the
existing data when appending a new session.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas