Re: Joliet extensions and files with no filename extension

Hi,

Mike Jones wrote:
Well, it turns out that on RHEL7, the mkisofs is a symbolic-link to the
/etc/alternatives stuff and it is really pointing to genisoimage.

Well, distro packagers ... :))

It realizes that mkisofs is a symbolic link and has it unchecked and then
the genisoimage is checked.

It should be possible to replace the link by Joerg's original mkisofs.
But currently we are hunting the undesired dot, not the bugs which got
fixed in mkisofs since 2006.

I couldn't find any xorriso package in the RHEL repos,

Fedora has it as binary subpackage of "libisoburn".
  https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorriso

so I downloaded the source code and compiled it.
ldd on xorriso does not show it using anyone's flavor of libisofs.so.

That would be GNU xorriso, the static compilation of libburn, libisofs,
libisoburn, and libjte. The included copy of libisofs is identical to
libisofs-1.4.4 as currently packaged by Fedora.

I maintain it because it can be quite cumbersome to install .so libraries
without interfering with installed system components. Distros rather
package the libraries and offer a dynamically linked xorriso binary.

The libisofs package on RHEL7 is version 1.2.8 built in January 2014.

I now tested with GNU xorriso-1.2.8 / libisofs-1.2.8.
No dot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-hhKrbg0d77TmlSMlNVTkI4aHM

Let's see ... needs a browser with Javascript ...

There is indeed an UCS-2 encoded name with the typical ISO 9660 suffixes:
  no_ext.;1
Those suffixes should not be added to Joliet names.
The ISO 9660 name is correctly: NO_EXT.;1
The RockRidge name is: no_ext

Now we have two riddles:
- why does libisofs-1.2.8 under brasero add ".;1", but not under xorriso ?
- why does Solaris not mount Rock Ridge but rather Joliet ?

I will try to solve at least the first of them.
Maybe you can find out something about the second.

I am using the IsoBuster program to analyze these discs and images.
The volume name is just the date "21 Jul 16", but on the Joliet extension it
shows as just "21 Ju".

The Volume Id in the Joliet Volume Descriptor (kindof superblock) is
  Data disc (21 Ju
More cannot be stored in the 32 bytes of this field, because the character
set needs two bytes per character.

The Volume Id in the ISO 9660 Volume Descriptor is encoded in ASCII:
  Data disk (21 Jul 16)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas