Re: New test of brasero + libburn

Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry for no replies for long time, being quite busy lately.
>
> I did some testing, and this what I found in today's -git version of
> brasero.
>

> First brasero still refuses to write audio disks using libburn,
> complaining that,
> that I need to insert 'compatible CD/dvd'. Doesn't ask to install
> cdrecord though, also works if I enable 'wodim' or 'cdrecord' plugin.

Be careful wodim comes with a fork from a very outdated mkisofs and this
fork if sull of bugs. If you like to create compatible media, I recommend to
use the original software cdrtools that is well maintained and did even
add many new features during the last 5 years. "genisoimage" has been reported
to create unplayable video media. "genisoimage" does not support files > 4 GB,
it does not support hard links with Rock Ridge, it does not support symlinks and
other file types with UDF and it does not support UTF-8 file names correctly.

A strong reason for using the original software.

> Then I tested support for writing video disks and transcoding.
> Of course there is still no way to write these disks using libburn, so
> I created image files. I have one question, though, that it seems not to
> be possible to create DVD Video image, but only VCD.

Did you try cdrecord (the real cdrecord from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)?

Note that although many people believe that cdrtdao is the right way to go, cdrecord
has better CUE/BIN support than cdrdao. Cdrecord e.g. in contrary to cdrdao supports to
write SVCDs in raw mode which is the only way that works with Pioneer drives (this also
applies to TEAC and Plextor as they just OEM Pioner drives.).

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg schily isdn cs tu-berlin de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       js cs tu-berlin de                (uni)