Re: ebeast: electron + beast

   Hi!

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 05:53:36PM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
Good to see that it works for you.

I'm pondering to integrate the electron app build into the regular build
process, i.e. essentially make beast depend on npm and everything required
for electron ebeast packaging is then fetched via npm.
Well except for v8pp, that is. We'll have to maintain a patched version it seems
[1].

So I'm pondering to:

a) Possibly include a v8pp copy into beast, to spare everyone the git submodule
hassle (I don't know why git didn't opt to handle submodules *transparently*).

Do what works for you. I can live with submodule stuff, and it is not so uncommon
these days. You could check if the file ebeast/v8bse/v8pp/v8pp/module.hpp (or something)
exists in configure, and fail with a "use git submodule" message otherwise.

b) Introduce a hard dependency on npm and package ebeast via electron-packager +
several other modules that npm fetches.

Would it be much more work to make it depend on npm and build ebeast by default,
but allow disabling it with a configure switch? (like --without-ebeast)

That would allow packagers to ship just beast (without ebeast) for the timespan
that ebeast is not yet considered ready for end users.

Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan