Re: beast crux-linux port available

Hy,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:00:17 +0200 (CEST)
Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > One thing i just saw: preferences are available in three(!)  menus - I
> > understand that so the preferences can be easily found,
> > and it's stupid in general that every other application has it either under
> > one of the menus where it's placed in beast now,
> > but is there some more reason behind it?
>
> no. it's really that i wanted to avoid people *not* finding it, and for each
> location, an argument could be made to demand the preferences in that place.
> this way, i just take critics about too many places for the preferences menu,
> which has the smallest drawback on users i think ;)

I feel and think this isn't a good way to solve this Problem  - for me i can tell you of my experience, that i was confused, because i had to open each three of them  to see that there are really three times  with the same function behind it - it could have been too, that there are different "view" prfereneces, "file" preferences and edit preferences options - that is not clear to be seen! On the other side, me and for sure every other user that ever used more than two programs is pretty well used to the experience, that the location of the preferences option varies from program to program, so i know, i must search for it as well in "file", "edit", "view" and other menus, so i am pretty used to it - in fact, i think there are more programs having preferences under "tools" than under view, so you had to put it there, too, to follow your idea comletely - sorry for that rant, you know, i respect xou very much for the amount and quality of work you put in that "animal".

In my opinion the qickest and best solution, that doesn't need further
thinking and searching would be, to put the preferences in the first Menu from the left, which could be, theoretically, the first somebody tries. If one wants to put some research into it, the place where most other programs have it - if you're interested i't go for it and make a count of some commonly used programs, you could name or i would chose from those i know they have lots of users.

It's late and I'm tired, so i am too lazy to search for it now, but what do the Gnome HIG say about that? If they say nothing it would be something that should be solved there, or even at a higher level like
freedesktop.org or something.

Henning