Re: [Banshee-List] Installing 2.9.1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected in autogen.sh

On 27 September 2017 at 05:24, Sharky <simondedman gmail com> wrote:
Thanks as always; sorry for delay.

Thought this would be the last one, but no dice; I guess something's still
wrong.

Yeah, but trust me, you really are getting there. Banshee has quite a
few dependencies and compiling smaller packages like gudev-sharp will
give you a nice bit of experience that you'll find useful later - I'd
suggest reading its configure.ac and Makefile.am files and having a
play with them since you have it cloned - you can always git reset
--hard to get back to a clean-ish state.

"FYI this should be executed inside the freshly cloned repository" I'm not
100% sure which bit this is referring to!

Initializing submodules: git submodule update --init

You only need that if the repository has any submodules though.
(gudev-sharp doesn't) You can tell by looking at the file .gitmodules
after cloning the repository, if it's there then there are submodules.

"you just missed the installation step for gudev-sharp"
Good spot! So in the gudev-sharp subfolder:
$ ./autogen.sh
$ make CSC=mcs
$ sudo make install

Making install in gudev
make[1]: Entering directory
'/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp/gudev'
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp/gudev'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am'.
echo "/usr/bin/gacutil /i gudev-sharp.dll /f /package gudev-sharp-3.0 /root
/usr/local/lib";  \
        /usr/bin/gacutil /i gudev-sharp.dll /f /package gudev-sharp-3.0
/root /usr/local/lib || exit 1;
/usr/bin/gacutil /i gudev-sharp.dll /f /package gudev-sharp-3.0 /root
/usr/local/lib
Package exported to: /usr/local/lib/mono/gudev-sharp-3.0/gudev-sharp.dll ->
../gac/gudev-sharp/3.0.0.0__3565e728cafab25e/gudev-sharp.dll
Installed gudev-sharp.dll into the gac (/usr/local/lib/mono/gac)
 /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/lib/mono/gudev-sharp-3.0/'
 /usr/bin/install -c gudev-sharp.dll.config
'/usr/local/lib/mono/gudev-sharp-3.0/'
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp/gudev'
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp/gudev'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am'.
 /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 gudev-sharp-3.0.pc '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/simon/banshee-arfbtwn-fork/gudev-sharp'

Looks good. I think.

It does - only you didn't pass --prefix=/usr so ./configure
(autogen.sh) chose the safe default of /usr/local to install the
package.

$ cd ../
$ ./autogen.sh --enable-gst-native --disable-appledevice
$ make
Same "Making all in Banshee.Gio" issue still. "compile my own gudev-sharp"
section obviously didn't do anything so I guess either I did it wrongly or
it wasn't the right thing to do. (still, haha)
If you see anything askew, please let me know. Thanks again.

So - because you didn't overwrite your system installed copy you now
have two options:

1) There is an environment variable: GUDEV_SHARP_LIBS (./configure
--help shows it)

If you set that to
-r:/usr/local/lib/mono/gudev-sharp-3.0/gudev-sharp.dll and configure
then make Banshee it should use that string instead of the one that
references your system installed copy and compilation may succeed -
I'm not sure what'll happen at runtime though, presumably the mono
runtime will load your system installed copy and the program will fail
at that point.

2) First, perform a "sudo make uninstall" in gudev-sharp to remove it
from /usr/local.

reconfigure it with the prefix argument make && make install and it'll
overwrite your system copy. (I think on an *buntu system you can use
dpkg to restore your system copy but I'm not 100% - make a backup if
you're worried but reinstalling the package with apt would also work
if anything goes wrong)

There's actually a third option but I'm not sure it would work in your
case - you could use one of the PKG_CONFIG_PATH or PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
variables to tell pkg-config to look in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig where
your gudev-sharp-3.0.pc file was installed however I'm not sure if
that would be preferred over your system copy. As you can probably
tell - since I'm not sure which variable it is - I haven't used this
method myself.

Good luck!

Ps. If I were you I'd move the gudev-sharp repository out of the
Banshee folder - git status in your Banshee clone probably shows the
other repository as new files. It shouldn't cause any harm though.

--
Registered Linux User #392373