Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

On 14/05/16 11:44, Klaus Zeitler wrote:
Hello,
"IBBoard" == IBBoard  <ibboard gmail com> writes:
    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> I just searched for the error you reported, and found
    IBBoard> https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511323-Gstreamer-error
    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> Reading it prompts vague memories that I might have had to
    IBBoard> do that at some point. Upgrading between openSUSE versions
    IBBoard> (including moving from GStreamer 0.10 to 1.0) and keeping
    IBBoard> my profile might have caused some issues that then prevent
    IBBoard> Banshee from working.

Took a short look at this bug report, but it's not clear to me how
this should help me in installing banshee properly.

But it was too late anyway. I had made a few more package (de)installations.
Neither of them made any difference. Then I noticed that my storage
device was full. This was my first installation with BtrFS and it took
me a while to figure out, that it was due to the 270 snapshots that
I had generated with my zypper installation commands. In a rather
shirt-sleeve approach or should I say braindead manner I deleted them
all and then my installation was broken. So for better or for worse
I had to reinstall everything again from scratch.
This time one of my first steps was to install banshee (before adding
e.g. packman repo and other stuff) and now banshee is running again.

Unfortunately I almost immediately detected a problem with
notifications. Every time a notification pops up, the screen gets pretty
much wiped out. Looks like some sort of redisplay problem. I'm using
xfce. As a first step I've disabled notifications. This made it better,
but it's still happening every once in a while. I'll investigate this
later and will start a new thread for this problem once I've solved
a more urgent problem I have now with soundcard/alsa/pulseaudio after
the new installation, i.e. I have disturbing noise now on one of my
speakers. Beats me why sound worked out of the box after the first
installation and now not anymore.

Klaus

The bug report was saying that an old GStreamer cache can cause problems
similar to your symptoms. If you were on a fresh install with a clean
user profile then it isn't likely to have been the issue, but I do
remember once deleting that cache on my machine to fix something after
an upgrade/reinstall that kept the profile directory.

With the "disturbing" noise, is it crackling and distortion with MP3?
I've found file support isn't good in the core openSUSE packages
(because of patents/licensing), so I added Packman, but if I didn't swap
*everything* to Packman then some files didn't play well. Also, it has
been a while, but I think the Packman Fluendo MP3 package was better
than the standard openSUSE option.

I hope that helps, and you get your rebuild fixed.