Re: [Banshee-List] Best backup for Banshee

On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 10:57 -0500, Don Parsons wrote:
Hello
I have banshee 2.6.1-2ubuntu1-hyper1+precise on ubuntu 12.04
What is the best backup of this banshee?

$BACKUPFILE=/somewhere/over/the/rainbow/mymusic.tar

XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
DB_LOCATION="$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/banshee-1/banshee.db"
echo ".dump" | sqlite3 $DB_LOCATION > banshee.sqlite.backup

tar cvf $BACKUPFILE $HOME/Music banshee.sqlite.backup

There is little point in compressing the backup as the MP3/OGG files are
already compressed and you will not gain much;  placing the file on
block-level de-duplicated storage is a better bet if you want to save
space, as if you backup the same collection again and again, that might
be a win.

I also like to put a vacccum in after my backup.

echo "PRAGMA integrity_check;" | sqlite3 $DB_LOCATION
echo "vacuum;" | sqlite3 $DB_LOCATION

Doing an occasional vacuum on the myriad little SQLite databases is a
good thing; many applications fail to ever do this - although that is
less true than in earlier years [when applications first started using
SQLite].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383