Re: [Banshee-List] Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

2013/1/4 inigo_fdez <inigo_fdez hotmail com>:
> I'd like to sync a folder with a banshee smart playlist.
>
> As the foldersync extension doesn't work with smart playlists, I've thought
> of creating a "virtual" music player so that banshee would give the option
> to sync the whole library to it, or just a playlist.
>
> Would it be possible?
>
> If not, is the foldersync extension going to support smart playlists in next
> releases?

As a workaround, you can always create an empty (non-smart) playlist,
then go to the smart playlist, select all items via Ctrl+A, and drag
the files into the new empty list. Then sync that non-smart playlist
(which has now the the same content as the smart one).

I've written the FolderSync plugin and am currently not planing to add
smart playlist support to it. I'd rather do, as you suggested, a
"virtual fake player" which allows putting any directory as a player
into Banshee and sync to it using the regular sync function. This
actually already works for the OS X port using a .is_audioplayer file
and sshfs. I've blogged about it here:
http://exceptionrethrown.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/gsoc-progress-report-4-midterm-passed/

To make that work on Linux, one could interface the udisk
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks) API to detect
attaching of disks, or try to interface with gnome-vfs to detect
disks. A "disk" does not necessarily reflect a physical disc, but
could be any ssh mounted folder and also local folders via loopback
mount.

Greetz,

Timo