Re: [Banshee-List] is there something like a "portable" banshee?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Fernan Aguero <fernan aguero gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Bertrand Lorentz
<bertrand lorentz gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

A portable Banshee should be possible by creating a launch script that
sets up the right environment:
- The path to the .cache/ folder can be changed through the standard
XDG_CACHE_HOME environment variable
- Same for the path to the .config folder, with the standard
XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable
- You can also set the path to the database with the --db command line
parameter
- If you want settings to be also portable, you need to make sure the
GConf backend is not enabled in the build.

I hope this helps, even if it's a bit late.

--
Bertrand

Thanks Bertrand!

I guess this is the best we can aim for so far. Will have to care about
maintaining regular backups of the .config folder, just in case a banshee
update in one computer renders the .config and/or db incompatible ...

Good point: sometimes the database schema or content has to be
changed. In that case the new version of Banshee will automatically do
the changes, but this will make the database incompatible with any
older version. There's an explicit check, so the older version will
just refuse to run, and not break anything.
Such changes are only done between major version (for example between
2.4 and 2.6).

I guess developers are careful enough ... but does not hurt to be paranoid
;)

Yes, backups are always a good idea :)

--
Bertrand