Re: [Banshee-List] Music library with multiple encodings

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 4:58 AM, noky <noky noky net> wrote:
> I recently started ripping CDs using both flac and mp3 encoding: flac for
> "home" use and mp3 for "mobile" use. Currently, I have different subfolders
> flac/mp3 for each album. Is there a way to configure Banshee to "prefer"
> flac versions of songs? Maybe a better way to organize my library? Problem
> is, I already have a lot of mp3 files (without flac counterparts) and now
> have a mix of flac/mp3, so I can't just segregate the two entirely and just
> point Banshee to the flac files. I'm sure other users have encountered this
> problem, how do people handle this situation?

By "mobile" use, do you mean putting the tracks on a phone or MP3 device ?
If yes, then Banshee can transcode tracks to MP3 on the fly when they
are copied to your device, so you don't really have to keep a copy of
the tracks in MP3 if you have a FLAC version.

To find the duplicates, there is a "Duplicate Song Dectector"
extension which is part of the Banshee Community Extensions. If the
two files have identical metadata, it should be able to find them.

--
Bertrand Lorentz